Cooking Classes

13.11.09

A Month of Salads - Turnip Salad

I have been making tons of desserts for the Tuesdays with Dorie and The Daring Bakers blogs.  And I am about desserted out!  It's time for some real food!

So I thought I would choose a theme that is the polar opposite - Salads!  I am going to have a month of salads starting today!  I am beginning by using what is in my fridge so this first salad might sound a little unusual!  But, I'm going to give it a try.

If you scan over the ingredients, you will see that it is very healthy.  It is almost no fat.  I used a small purple topped white turnip.  I only had Macintosh apples so subbed that for the Granny Smith.  It was really good!  This salad successfully hides that turnip and it tastes like a fruit salad.  Plus it is all in season.

Turnip Salad           4 starter size or 2 dinner size servings


1 turnip, peeled and cubed
3 green onions, chopped
1/2 Granny Smith apple, cored and chopped
1 slice canned pineapple, chopped
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 T olive oil
1 T pineapple juice
pinch sea salt
pinch cracked black pepper


1.     Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add turnip.  Cook until tender but still firm.  Drain and cool.
2.     In a large bowl, combine the cooked turnip, green onion, apple, pineapple and lemon juice. 
3.     Whisk together pineapple juice, water, salt, pepper.  Pour dressing over fruit and vegetables.  Toss and refrigerate overnight.
4.     Serve on a bed of lettuce or a romaine leaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.