Cooking Classes

29.7.10

Hummingbird Cake



It is my Aunt Agnes' 80th birthday this weekend.  She is a very special aunt and spent a lot of time with me as a young girl.  My own mother was not well so she was always there to step in and help us.  


Her children are planning a tea.  This is a very small town Saskatchewan thing to do.  I love it!  I will be able to visit with all of my cousins, aunts and uncles at the same time without driving all over.  


As a birthday present I am baking a cake.  Can you think of a better birthday gift?  And, can you ever have too many birthday cakes?


My inspiration for this cake comes from my house sit experience in Tennessee last year.  It is a very Southern cake.  They love their layer cakes in the South.  I heard about this cake but had never tasted it and I really wanted to try it.







 

Hummingbird Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 can (8oz) crushed pineapple, well drained
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 2 cups chopped firm ripe banana
 Cream Cheese Frosting:
  • 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup butter, room temperature
  • 2 pounds confectioners' sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 to 1 cup chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 350°. Sift flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and cinnamon together into mixing bowl several times. Add eggs and salad oil to the dry ingredients. Stir with a wooden spoon until ingredients are moistened. Stir in vanilla, pineapple and 1 cup pecans. Stir in the bananas. Spoon the batter into 3 well-greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes,or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn onto cooling rack. Cool completely before frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting:
Combine cream cheese and butter; cream until smooth. Add powdered sugar, beating with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla.
Frost the tops of all 3 layers, stack and then frost sides. Sprinkle top evenly with the 1/2 to 1 cup chopped pecans.

11 comments:

  1. I remember this from when I was a little girl. Your cake looks lovely and I know it was appreciated. What a nice tradition...a tea for a birthday with friends and relatives. I like the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do hope your aunt had a wonderful day. Her cake was certainly lovely. I don't often comment, but I must say all your recipes are first rate. I always enjoy my visits here. I hope the day treats you well. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a wonderful cake; I love both bananas and pineapple! I'll keep this one on file to try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pineapple AND banana in the cake? That sounds wonderful. And with cinnamon. Yum. It looks like a lovely cake and I bet your Aunt Agnes and her friends loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday Aunt Agnes! The cake looks and sounds delicious Sarah! I'm a big fan of fruit and cinnamon in cakes. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy B-day to your aunt!!! Lovely pics and delicious cake! compliments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm like you, Sarah. I have heard of this cake but never knew what it was... thanks so much for enlightening me... looks like an awesome cake..pineapple, pecans and bananas??? WOW~!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How sweet of you to bake her a cake! I have a favorite Aunt Sissy. I love aunts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope the birthday girl has a fantastic time:D One thing for sure there will be so much delicious food when everyone pitches in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, everyone for your comments! I loved the Hummingbird Cake. I thought it would somewhat like a carrot cake but it was way lighter. I was actually a light and fluffy cake. And with all that icing, a small piece goes a long way.

    A good time was had by all! I have a couple more posts about that little trip coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What lovely cakes!! This recipe reminds me of carrot cake without the carrots.

    Happy birthday to your aunt!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.