Cooking Classes

25.3.14

The Secret Recipe for Pickled Eggs

 

I have a friend with an organic hen and egg operation. Last winter he was left with an over supply of eggs and asked if I would help him out by making pickled eggs. I had never done this before nor do I eat pickled eggs. No matter, I helped him out. This was our favourite recipe.

Pickled eggs
Stale eggs peel much more easily than fresh eggs. Pickled eggs are a great snack, easily sliced into a salad, can be made into devilled eggs or a sandwich. Add flavourings such as curry or hot dried peppers.
12 hard boiled eggs, peeled
1 c. pickling vinegar 250 mL
1 1/2 c. water 500 mL
1 tbsp. sugar 15 mL
2 tsp. pickling spice 10 mL
1 tsp. kosher salt 5 mL
Yellow or white onions, thinly sliced in rings
Combine vinegar, water, sugar, pickling spices and salt in small saucepan.
Bring to boil, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Place eggs in jar layered with sliced raw onions. Pour hot liquid over to fill jar. Seal jar with lid.
Refrigerate for at least four days before using. Pickled eggs will keep for a month or more in the refrigerator. Serve with slices of onion from the jar.
To make hard-boiled eggs place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan. Cover with at least 1-inch (2.5 cm) cold water over top of the eggs. Cover saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Immediately remove pan from heat. With lid on, let eggs sit in hot water for 12 minutes. Drain and immediately put eggs in cold water until cooled. Crack the blunt end of the egg and then peel with a spoon.

3 comments:

  1. I remember as a teenager how my brother just loved pickled eggs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my sons was just talking about having pickled eggs in his fridge. I'm not sure if I'd like them. But I do like your picture of peeling the eggs with a spoon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to try pickled eggs!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.